Thursday, March 22, 2007

We Eat Again

Big grocery trip today. Last night Isaiah painted the doors (dog scratches: lousy hound) and touched up the trim upstairs (he's doing the floor/banister tonight) while I was erranding and starting dinner (Thai green coconut chicken curry) and when he went to make himself a hotdog we were so low on condiments that it wasn't funny. When I was a child that was the kind of stuff I was oblivious to (and my husband still is, actually): you opened the refrigerator and catsup was just THERE. I need an ironclad list today or I know I'll forget something that will be the first thing someone notices ("You spent $___ at the grocery store today and didn't get _____???") Sigh.

My sister's family is coming up for the weekend. She's a better person than I am: stopping to see my dad on the way. Just reading the email exchanges she forwards here about trying to choose a place to eat dinner while in Galion....how best to describe my dad? Hmm...where's the thesaurus?

2 comments:

Janet said...

At our house, it's mayonnaise. I keep forgetting to buy it, and Buehler's insists on keeping it on the bottom shelf, so it's not in my sightline while scanning the shelves. However, the good news is that I no longer have anyone in the house asking me why I forgot the mayonnaise in that tone usually reserved for important stuff like why I left the children inside a burning house.

I had to laugh about the dad in Galion and the extended exchange regarding a place to eat. Tell your sister to take him to Bob Evans. No exotic fare, no loud music, breakfast all day.

Maggie said...

Here we have the Miracle Whip issue: I LOATH Miracle Whip but will buy it (in its lowfat version, upon request by the man who thinks nothing of eating two Big Macs at a sitting but God forbid I don't buy lowfat Miracle Whip) for my family. I buy "real" mayonnaise (as "real" as it gets in a jar) and this happens: "What th- this isn't Miracle Whip! Are you TRYING to kill me?!" How he manages to miss the gallon drum of Miracle Whip (lowfat!) but hones in on my tiny squeeze bottle Of Hellmans...I ask you: is it universal? The sturm und drang over !@##$%^&* Miracle Whip? Sheesh! Let's have some perspective here already!

Speaking of: the minute my pathologically over-emotive dad (I can pretty much guarantee he has some reason why he couldn't possibly eat at Bob Evans) is declared dead, I'm starting a book about him. Not that I'm currently sticking pins into a "Big Jim"-shaped voodoo doll, but...