Thursday, March 15, 2007

OGT

Nate drove the girls to school this morning (Isaiah doesn't go in all this week until 10: OGT) after debating whether it made sense to take them before the weather cleared a little; he had to retrieve his car from the school lot across the street anyway (fills up fast starting at about 7:15, though not- ho ho- this morning) and was pacing around the house like a lion, waiting for a break in the icy rain before attempting the drive into Cleveland. I called the middle school to alert them as to Sarah's potential tardiness (she gets all weirded out if she's late, or even thinks she might be late, which leads all too often to having A Very Bad Day Indeed) and was taken aback AGAIN by how rude the person answering the phone was. If I were to answer the phone like that, I'd fully expect the caller to bite my head off and possibly ask to speak to my supervisor, but instead, I used my best charming-and-a-little-confused voice to explain that Sarah might be a bit late and could someone make sure she wasn't marked tardy? Or if she were, to please not let her know until after school? After all, the weather blah blah blah better safe than sorry etc. The receptionist cuts me off with an abrupt "We don't excuse tardies due to bad weather." Big pause. Pause. Paaauuuussse as I waited her out. "But since you called beforehand...." Uh-huh. Streets are iced over... cars are creeping along.... my husband, Mr. "I Wouldn't Miss A Day Of Work If My Head Were Lopped Off" actually goes in LATE....and the school isn't cutting anyone any slack. Good thing I called (although Sarah was, in fact, on time.) I've never known a child to be so concerned about being late to school.

No comments: