Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Holiday Curse

Busy day yesterday. I didn't start until four but could tell immediately what'd been going on: lots of business and the phone ringing off the hook. It continued until closing, when we had a classic scenario: group back in DVD who had to be told we were closed after multiple PA announcements, then when they came to the desk the one trying to check out (after a computer was turned back on to accommodate her)had a big fine on her card. One of her friends checked out instead and had a more reasonable fine (one that didn't block her check-out) and wanted to pay it, but we'd shut down the cash register already: it was well after nine pm at this point. I don't know what it is about a holiday that guarantees mayhem the next open day, but it seemed as though every transaction involved lengthy discussion/complications/oddball circumstances. I was on the phone so long with this one nice elderly lady that when I hung up my ear was sore. SHE wanted to know if the gift shop had a cart of hardcover books out for sale. Well, no. For one thing, it was 8:55 pm and the shop was closed, but I'd seen the cart and it's all children's videos right now, which she wanted to discuss in detail after I'd confirmed that there were no books for sale that day. She wasn't, like, trying to be impossible, but my word: the circular, endless conversation/speculation about the cart and when there'd be what she wanted on it and how often did it change and why wasn't the store open all the time: yeeeesh. She decided to call back today and find out if there were hardcover books on the cart at that time and will get to talk to someone who isn't me as I won't be there: I'm going to Cuyahoga Falls. Thank God.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I have sent a project ticket to Kiel to see about getting the gift shop phone set up properly. Right now, I don't think it has an outgoing message for when they're closed, nor the capability to take messages. If we can get that set up, all you would need to do from henceforth is forward the call and let the Friends deal with their customers. Cross your fingers that this can be achieved.

As for the folks who ignore the five-minute warning at closing: I wonder if we should start turning the lights out right at 9? Do you think they would get the message?

Zharmir said...

You know, Janet, that's a decent idea, I think. Whenever we were in the Akron library before it closed, they'd start shutting off lights, and it definitely got us scrambling for the door every time. (And yeah, we would have been the kind of people who stay 5 minutes after because we need to check out 70 books and pay fines)

And... heh, Maggie, when I saw said people come up last night, I thought 'I bet that'll be on Maggie's blog tomorrow...'

Maggie said...

Matthew, Matthew, Matthew: you know me all too well. They were nice enough people, but.....